Sign in to follow this  
_Casanova

[_Casanovas Helpful Hints] #2 Mob limits/Chunk identification

I just woke up so this will be full of laziness and half written sentences :)

Don't you just hate when a sentence doesn't end as it.

Okay so this should be a quick one.

Mob Limits: 

So I am sure many of you have noticed that mobs can only build up to a maximum of 25 per chuck, If not, now you know (The more you know!)

With that being said, you can have up to 25 passive and up to 25 aggressive mobs in any given chunk. This is good news for iron farms because if you play your cards right, your village cells will be all in their own chunks and 4 iron farms on top of each other will only hit 16 villagers per chunk.

This is a hard limit, there is no way to bypass it, not by eggs or anything. Other good news is that even if the chunk is filled already to the 25 limit and you use a spawn egg, it will still spawn and kill some other mob in that chunk, so you wont lose your spawn egg.

Chunk Identification:

Some of you may wonder what a chunk is and how do you know where one ends and another begins. First off a chunk is always without fail 16x16x256. Usually if you look off into the distance you can see your chunks loading in, well, chunks of 16x16 areas. 

Here is an image I made to show you how to know when you leave/enter a new chunk (F3 menu)

9aa3hUs.png

So as you see, the X,Y,and Z are your axis. Those don't really matter I just figure I would point it out, what we will focus on is the yellow underlined numbers. While you move they will constantly fluctuate between 0-15, any time it rolls over from 15 to 0, you just entered a new chunk. I don't think I can explain it any easier than that :)

Even the best of us have to double check what we do, as you can see in the following picture, I drew out a chunk above my iron farms as a guide to know how many villagers should be in each so I don't hit the limit.

7WVfpC4.png

I drew this out in cobble above my iron farm just as a visual guide. as you can see I built this AFTER my iron farm because 2 cells are in the same chunk. (gg me) The inside area of the chunk is 14x14 plus 1 on each side as the boarder of the chunk to make it 16x16. Which is why its a 2 thick boarder, since each chunk has its own. To know you are in the corners of 4 chunks, the numbers in your F3 menu need to fluctuate as (15),(15) , (0),(15) , (0),(0) , and (15),(0) The 4 blocks that show those numbers will be the corners of 4 chunks

All of this will come in handy when determining where to build mob grinders to animal farms to iron farms. If you don't pay any attention to it, you're going to have a bad time. 

As always, feel free to comment openly. If I missed something, correct me (I probably wont ban you) :P

-_Casanova

Edited by _Casanova

The last reply to this thread was posted over 30 days ago. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.